Lazy Luddite Log

25.11.05

Why Luddite?

I have been using the word 'luddite' in relation to my Internet use ever since I got an email account at Monash University back in the 90s. These days 'luddite' refers to someone who resists or resents new technology. For more info on the history of the term go to the Trivia link on my sidebar. I am slow to make use of new technology and get frustrated if ever I lack a working understanding of something.

And I never get into technology just for its own sake. It has to somehow facilitate my involvement in something that interests me. So I have never had a mobile phone because having contact with everybody all day long is something that has never attracted me. On the other hand I do have an iPod because listening to music while in transit is lots of fun. Using iTunes to put together ones own lists of tracks is fantastic because the different combinations and sequences of songs help one to explore the relationships that exist between and within a variety of musical genres. But that is another topic...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I am writing this comment in January 2007...

    My Blogger Profile originally made the following statement (which has just been changed):

    I have lived in Australia all my 30-something years (except for one month spent in Germany with relatives). I call the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne home. I have a teaching background but just now am enjoying a more relaxed life in customer service. I live for my interests and also for sharing those interests with friends. I talk too much and blogging is a kind of talking... For more background info look to the oldest posts of Lazy Luddite Log entitled 'Commentary' in the Archives...

    By Blogger Dan, At 05 February, 2007  

  • I am writing this comment in April 2009...My Blogger profile for some time made the following statement (which has just been changed):

    I have lived in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne all my thirty-something years and have barely travelled beyond the south-eastern portion of Australia (the exceptions to this are short holidays in Germany with relatives and in New Zealand with friends). I live for my interests and also for sharing those interests with friends. I talk too much and blogging is a kind of talking...

    By Blogger Dan, At 29 April, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home