Lazy Luddite Log

27.10.10

2001-2005

As once century turned into another and the cheers of a New Year's Eve party faded into echoes I reflect that things were much of a muchness but there were some exceptions to that in store for me.

There are plenty of ways I can fill the time and feel satisfied with my life even if nothing much is happening. Things like deciding that even nerds need exercise and lap swimming regularly... or reading on topics like popular twentieth century music history... or writing random short fiction. And then there is always some party or dinner on the weekend to look forward to. Still sometimes things just happen to you.

Every once in a while my passive courting method worked. In this time frame it worked only once but gave me rather an experience. At a party a random guest made moves on me. We interacted and exchanged numbers and she enticed me to visit her. This was an effort on my part as it involved rural public transport. We got along well but wanted different things. She was into growing her own food and progeny far from the maddening crowd. I in contrast declared that I must always live within walking distance of a milk bar. Eventually we recognized that anything between us was doomed. I came away with a better appreciation of both rural life and the challenges faced by sole parents.

While I spent some weekends away from home, I spent others working in the office of the Australian Democrats. Office work inevitably blurred with tasks undertaken in my growing number of roles within the party. This cause I had chosen and those I worked alongside became a powerful motivating force in my life and in some ways I think I was unusually proactive and proficient at that time. At my most involved I was coordinating the behind-the-scenes organization (as distinct from political campaign work) of the entire state division. I was sitting once at Huntingdale station in flannal shirt and jeans with my back to the wall and my feet on the bench. I was on the way into State Office. Suddenly the incongruity hit me - someone like me with such a responsibility in my hands and party secrets in my backpack as I waited for the train. Still it was a kind of calling for me and some fun things I remember include forming the Monash Democrats with Julie, developing draft mission statements with Corey, and campaigning for the election of Jess.

Politics amost devoured my life but I still did other things alongside it. I decided to codify my clerical work experience by undertaking a TAFE course in administration and look for roles accordingly. I also moved into a new share household on the invitation of Polly & Olav who purchased a home in Mulgrave. This setting fitted my lone walker persona well and the presence at Waverley Gardens of a cut-price cinema helped me to while away slack Sundays. In some ways seeing a movie alone is the best way to see it - just you and the story you are drawn into.

However towards the end of this time things were starting to pall. A desire for emotional self-sufficiency is all very well but can be difficult to manifest. I was at a loss and turning to and fro wondering what to do. Things were set to become more complex and generally better. And both luck and making active decisions played into that development as I look back over the most recent part of my life to date.

My autoblography continues here and becomes somehwat more thematic than narrative.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home