Lazy Luddite Log

10.2.11

Add A Digit

I was looking at some Twentieth Century detritus recently with a friend and we noticed an old sign with a seven-digit Melbourne landline number on it. I commented that I vaguely remembered that addition of an extra digit and she - rightly - expressed surprise at my vague memory because she is younger than I and distinctly remembers the change. An admission - In that moment I was impulsively sensitive to my age. That it mattered to me at all and that I played with the truth concerns me. I am happy that I was prevented from getting away from it. But the intent of this post is to be interesting rather than introspective - so - onwards!

Phone Numbers

The changing over to eight-digit phone numbers is one of those many changes that I remember that are small and mundane and yet are also markers of the passage of time and the inevitability of change. I prefer it - I quickly adapted to the symmetry of having an even-numbered set of numbers to dial (or rather to punch in). There are two other things I remember that seem trivial and yet have had a big impact on every day life.

Barcodes

I can remember the introduction of these peculiar patterns onto packaged products. How could a machine read this sequence of lines and numbers? Could I read them too just by looking? Nope - it was gibberish to me. But suddenly they were ubiquitous. And they changed our lives. I cannot say for sure but I can only assume that they made the work of a check-out operator quicker and therefore the time we customers spend in queues shorter. Now most recently barcodes have been combined with other technology to allow check-out self-service - something I am still in two minds over.

Blu-Tack

This and other putty-like pressure sensitive adhesives have changed our lives. I recall the absence of Blu-Tack in my life - we actually stuck posters on walls in my family home with - gasp - sticky tape. To this day I can tell the age of a rental property by the nasty faded-yellow residue left behind by sticky tape on plaster walls. Then along came Blu-Tack and life changed forever! Posters on bedroom walls could be located and relocated and swapped from wall-to-wall. Yes there is that issue of removing paint from surfaces but only if you are sloppy. Otherwise it is amazing stuff. And fun too! I made a dinosaur recently with some Plasticine from the game Cranium and friends seemed to approve. I have Blue-Tack to thank for that skill as I spent hours in childhood just making things with Blu-Tack (which was always more abundant than Plasticine itself).

* * * * *

I am sure that everyone has personal recollections of changes like this - things that came into your life that it may be difficult to imagine lacking now. Anybody want to suggest some more to add to the list?

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • I'm copying and pasting comments to this same post from LiveJournal (complete with messy formatting text). See below...

    From: aeduna
    Date: February 10th, 2011 06:57 pm (local)
    Select: Delete Spam Screen Freeze Track This
    (Link)
    Our fuse box had a 6 digit number on it until recently. I recall some areas of Mt Waverley still had 6 digits until the late 80s - I think the 27#### numbers became 807#### and then 9807####
    (Reply) (Thread)

    From: originaluddite
    Date: February 18th, 2011 10:41 pm (local)
    Select: Edit Delete Screen Freeze Track This
    (Link)
    You just reminded me of other artifacts of days gone by - like seeing old Telecom logos on concrete covers. Or even older - the same concrete covers but with the name PMG from the days in which the Post Master General ran telephony!
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)

    From: madrigalis
    Date: February 10th, 2011 10:00 pm (local)
    Select: Delete Spam Screen Freeze Track This
    (Link)
    I remember when $1 and $2 coins first came out, and polymer notes, and the 1c and 2c coins were removed from circulation. I don't remember what the old money looked like, just that the polymer stuff was much more colourful. And if you looked at the $5 note really closely you could read the words to... was it Waltzing Matilda? I have a feeling that's no longer the case, but sadly my eyesight is even worse now than it was then.
    (Reply) (Thread)

    From: originaluddite
    Date: February 18th, 2011 10:43 pm (local)
    Select: Edit Delete Screen Freeze Track This
    (Link)
    I think the Waltzing Matilda thing still exists. In fact you have just provoked a forgotten memory in me - one of the first Polana camps I attended I started a conversation on that topic and somebody has sufficient eye sight to recite it from the note!
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)

    By Blogger Dan, At 09 May, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home