Lazy Luddite Log

26.2.11

O-Five Years

It occurs to me that it is five years since I posted this. That was a fateful O-Week for me as I became a member of the Monash University Choral Society (MonUCS) and have stuck with it since. This post is a tribute to both that body and to the friends I have made as a result of getting involved in it.

As I sit here writing I find it difficult to find the right words to say just how significant that act was. But rather than a loss for words I am experiencing a flood of them. Try this – it has changed my life profoundly. They have changed my life for the better.

Normally I try and curb such gushing as I am wary of glorifying groups. Ultimately what matters is each person you make a connection with rather than the whole group (with all its generalizations and assumptions and peer pressure). But I can make cautionary statements of the limitations of groups another time. And a quick note - I love non-choral friends too! But back to this missive dedicated to my choral peeps.

I had tentatively been involved in MonUCS in the past but they seemed more preppy then (to borrow an American term). And that made sense to me at the time – a choral society tends to attract those with musical ability, which is in turn cultivated by particular kinds of parents who send children to particular schools. At any rate, those who ran the show back in the 90s seemed a tad too cool for me. But something changed and I still wonder why. Now they are far more nerdy. It could be that Gen-Y are more accepting of things like fantasy and science fiction than were Gen-X. With choristers that nerdiness is more of the creative than technical bent but that is just fine with me.

There are other characteristics of those I have met that help me feel I belong. There is a tendency towards progressive politics but also a tolerance of political diversity. There is the willingness to be silly and child-like which to my mind shows a level of maturity some never achieve. Finally – and most importantly – there is compassion and a desire to help one another.

So far my writing gives the impression I integrated quickly. Far from it! There is a timid person in me and many of my fellow choristers are similar. So we all tend to hang back and wonder what the others will do. Luckily there are always a few bolder figures who can offer a firm and smiling welcome.

One of my newest choral friends is also impressed by how MonUCS has changed her life and she fancifully compares us Wonderland. Apparently I am the Caterpillar. Another friend is the White Rabbit because of her role in drawing this intrepid 'Alice' to us. I chose to come to MonUCS on my own but that same White Rabbit made me feel included and valued at junctures in which I may have decided that so many new faces were all too much for me.

And there are so many faces that are still fresh to me. My understanding of these friends slowly grows in richness and complexity and the process continues. I was considering embarrassing particular friends by name with expressions of my esteem for them but I will resist the temptation. I will however say this:

In you I have variously witnessed resilience, patience, bravery, integrity, imagination, kindness, generosity, perceptiveness, brilliance and humour, and I hope you can see these things in yourselves.

There are so many anecdotes from my choral life that look to me like scenes from some movie or novel. I can never share them all and some are too personal to put in writing – you just had to be there! But life is like a story and my latest chapter is full of music and singing and revelry.

Labels:

1 Comments:


  • I'm copying and pasting comments to this same post from LiveJournal (complete with messy formatting text). See below...

    From: vintage_mintage
    Date: February 26th, 2011 09:06 am (local)
    Select: Delete Spam Screen Freeze Track This
    (Link)
    Your absence was felt when you were away :) A lot of the time something would happen or someone would say something and I would be like "Hey Daniel, look lol!" and you weren't there! Ever so glad to have you back :)
    (Reply) (Thread)

    From: originaluddite
    Date: February 27th, 2011 06:44 pm (local)
    Select: Edit Delete Screen Freeze Track This
    (Link)
    One aspect of the MonUCS effect for me was also the AICSA effect which I have omitted from this entry. My interstate fortunes are too big to be addressed in the same post as this topic.

    But thanks for telling me this - these things are important to be told. It was good to know especially while I was away and many would say so. I was even the "person most missed" in end-of-year memes of both Gaby and Kat and that kind of thing really helped.
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)

    By Blogger Dan, At 09 May, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home