Lazy Luddite Log

15.4.11

Polity

Polity is to politics what economy is to economics. We are all part of both but nobody uses the word polity while economy is thrown into conversations willy-nilly. It says to me that our society puts much more importance on your contribution to the latter than the former. In contrast I have always felt that a civic life is one of the strings in my personal bow that makes my life comprehensive (along with all those other things like working and personal life). However I have also let that string get slack in recent times.

I did over-do the whole party politics things with the Australian Democrats (which I have put behind me). I let it consume too much of me to the detriment of the other strings-of-life. I now have an aversion to too much politics. However I still try to do my bit because this stuff matters. I barely pay attention to current issues and that can be embarrassing. But then I do say in assorted online profiles that I am into political history. It works for me - by the time something is history you can get a fuller picture of the whole thing rather than all the moment-to-moment stuff that overburdens media today.

I get involved in occassional lobbying or activism. I will admit that I have a long Facebook 'flist' partly so that my odd linking to something political gets a wider coverage than it may otherwise get. I will go to a rally sometimes. I am hoping to become a regular attendee at a monthly Amnesty International (AI) letter-writing brunch over a cafe in Clifton Hill. This is all stuff I can manage much more than the old craziness.

And I am happy to impart to others what I understand from both past study and experience. I love the way I have an automated online politics test that informs users of political ideology while I sleep. I'm also happy to vent my frustrations in a creative way with another online project.

I have an imaginary spoof political party called Me First! It started as a way for me to express frustrations at the way things are in a minor political party. It has since gone onto become a more general way of satirizing or just having fun with political issues and concepts. And because it is a joke I can get away with saying all sorts of things. Most of it I admit is ludicrous but sometimes - just sometimes - I do think some of the things I put there. I will let you decide which is which.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home